From German roots, to customers around the world

Schmiedag GmbH: our history

Schmiedag GmbH has been firmly established in Hagen since 1824. Today the company is an attractive employer in the region and supplies its high-quality forged products to customers around the world.

1824 – Schmiedag GmbH as it stands today is originally established as a forge by Peter Dallhaus in Hagen-Eckesey.


1873 – At the forge location Grüntaler Eisenwerke AG is founded.


1928 – Foundation of Schmiedag AG as a mechanical engineering company, with an integrated forge and several production plants in Hagen. The same year Schmiedag AG acquires Schwinn AG, a die forge headquartered in Homburg/Saar which had been founded in 1905.


1931 – Hoesch AG acquires both companies.


1968 – Merger with Eisenwerk Rothe Erde to become Hoesch-Rothe-Erde Schmiedag AG.


1991 – The plants in Hagen and Homburg are acquired by Ascometal S.A., a member of the USINOR Corporation in Paris, resulting in formation of the ASCOFORGE Group.


1999 – Schmiedag GmbH becomes part of GMH Gruppe.

 

more history